Saturday, November 18, 2006

hooray! school's out!

my daughter should be posting this blog. but she isn't. yesterday's the last day of school for the year & in her case, last day in primary school. i asked her if she'd like to have my camera (& i even offered her new batteries) to capture in digital print moments commemorating a passage of rites with her classmates/teachers she may want to keep for posterity, but she politely turned me down. hey, what gives???

my parents never owned a camera & i got my 1st only in med school. looking back, i now despair at the numerous precious memories that now only reside in the dark recesses of my mind. if i had a camera when i was 12, imagine the stories, illuminated with photos, i could have come up with!

i have a faint recollection of my last days in primary school but i still remember some of the teachers vividly. mrs thumboo comes to mind 1st, followed by puan rahmah & mr brockett. puan rahmah was the primary 1 class teacher & i was her "pet". she liked me so much, she even asked me, on more than one occasion, if i would be interested in one of her daughters. up to this day, i still do not know if she was teasing.


primary 1 : pn rahmah - mother-in-law??

mr brockette is eurasian (my 1st encounter with someone so big & fair-complexioned) & primary 4 class teacher, schooled in british tradition in hong kong & a true blue disciplinarian - he could very well had been the headmaster, except that the latter was even more fierce than him!!

primary 4 : mr brockett - disciplinarian

there were also a few trainee teachers who, despite their brief sojourn, endeared themselves to my classmates & i. mr nathan came in at primary 4 - he was a really likeable chap & we tried to help him as much as we could. i remembered his appeal - that during his assessment, when he asked questions, as many of us as possible should put up our hands, whether we knew the answers or not. but we felt sorry for him because he failed in his stint with us. mr boh ooi chek, a batu pahat boy, was with us in primary 6. he was truly "one of us" & i really missed him when he left. i wonder what he's up to these days - should be enjoying retirement by now.

but what i do remember clearly of the good old days is that school holidays is for.....er.....holidaying, be it a few weeks with the grandparents, hanging out with friends/relatives, going on a vacation with the family. or even just "lepak" around at home. but none of that sedentary stuff for our modern super-competitive parents/students. as i write this, i know for sure plans are afoot for day classes, night classes, tuition classes, extra classes, motivation classes, memory improvement classes - any thing that will make sure the students stay ahead of the competition.

hey, doesn't anyone know how to be a kid anymore?

11 comments:

nyonyapenang said...

it's all the parents' fault. how would the child know how to be a 'kid' if the parents never taught and never allow him to be one?

just me said...

Yeah, I pity the kids with a regimental lifestyle...attending one class after another ..and they are FORCED to attend the classes.
Still remember my childhood days when the world is still a safe place.....hanging out with my 2 brothers to catch spiders etc.
My son is having the time of his life doing what he likes now...even though it is an indoor activity and daughter is also enjoying her hols! Not ruled by the school bell, now that is LIFE!

just me said...

When I was a kid,the world was a safer place and I remember hanging out with my 2 brothers and their friends to catch spiders etc.and we had such fun!
Nowadays, most kids' activities are too regulated and they are forced to attend classes ( some of which they have no absolute interest)

doc said...

nyonya,

parents are partly responsible for this trend, but perhaps the education system, being fundamentally flawed, is the main culprit. as places in public universities are limited, no thanks to the quota (or so-called merit) system, & as private ones are beyond the reach of the many, i can partly understand why parents place such astronomical emphasis on education.

unfortunately, this situation is unlikely to change.

doc said...

justme,

yes, like i wrote, those were the good old days. my daughter only has her weekly piano classes to attend. she occupies her time with reading, tv & the occasional outing with her classmates. i plan to improve her scrabble & sudoku, & teach her chess, badminton & guitar before school starts again. that's going to take up quite a bit of my time but i think you can't put a price on a close & loving relationship between parent & child.

just me said...

Your daughter is very blessed to have you as her dad!
My daughter and her dad are also sudoku lovers!

doc said...

justme,

i think she still hasn't fully appreciated the immense love we shower on her. maybe when she is older, she will.

Captain Kangaroo said...

Hmm your stuff makes me miss my childhood... what a wonderful journey eh!

doc said...

frapps,

ah, what i wouldn't give to live that care-free life all over again. i have more school stories to share in future posts.

Unknown said...

So.. doc, just me, what will your kids be doing during the holidays?

doc said...

bernard,

mostly reading books, tv & the occasional weekend away with the family.