Wednesday, October 17, 2007

peanuts

friends have mentioned that the boy is deprived compared to his older sister. being the 2nd sibling, there is some truth there - the girl had more toys, travelled more widely & certainly had a larger share of our undivided attention then.

so, he was understandably thrilled when he finally got on a full-fare flight last week. he exhorted that he was treated to juices, milk, snacks & even a blanket. he must have felt that his previous experiences with no-frill travel were spartan by comparison.

but he did something remarkable on board - NO, he didn't make a pass at the stewardess. as i didn't get on the same flight, he actually kept his packet of peanuts for me. all the more surprising as he is normally possessive & territorial at home. so when i caught up with him a few days later, he proudly showed me his little bounty. it felt like a million bucks to me.

what had prompted this unexpected act of selflessness? i don't know but perhaps somewhere along the way, we as parents must have done something right.

Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.
prov 22:6

12 comments:

iml said...

It's the little gestures of caring and sharing that makes our hearts melt.

just me said...

So sweet of him...does he himself like nuts?

doc said...

iml,

it's always the littlest of things that leave the greatest & deepest impressions.

thanks for dropping by (again).

doc said...

just me,

he loves nuts, just like his papa.

Anonymous said...

=)
=))
You boy's so sweet.
God bless him.

p.s. Do remember to eat the nuts, my mother is always too distracted to eat the things I leave for her and it annoys the sanity out of me.

doc said...

anastasia,

yeah, he's the best, & i shared the nuts with him

just me said...

So you are third "squirrel" blogger...LM is one of them, I am one too..son calls me a "squirrel" because I love nuts!

Anonymous said...

Like Father, Like Son. :)

I'm sure you & Mrs Doc are great parents.

LX said...

So sweet and heart-warming. :D

doc said...

just me,

so, we are all a family of squirrels!? the boy was tickled when i called him "little squirrel".

doc said...

jem,

yeah, he's a chip off the block, isn't he?

like all parents, we try to give the kids our best.

doc said...

lynnx,

yeah, he's a good kid.