Monday, July 11, 2011

where your treasure is.....

i was very attached to my previous car, one i held on for 10 years till it was more sensible (& financially viable!!!) to trade-in than to keep. it was serviced & maintained at the franchise dealer, using only original parts. i even washed & waxed the car myself.

don't blame the wife for calling it my 1st love.

but when i finally decided to trade-in, i elected for something i thought i would not be so attached to - a common japanese car that i could maintain cheaply affordably & service at any workshop, that i could park anywhere without fear of being vandalised & that i would fill in ron95 petrol without 2nd thoughts.
  
so, when i was involved in an accident recently, i thought i really had gotten over my car-attachment obssession because i really didn't feel any sort of heartache, considering it was just bought last year. seriously. i was just glad everyone in the car was safe & that i could still drive away after the collision.

but when i sent the car to the workshop today, i had a bit of reservation. well, ok, more than a bit. we have all heard of unscrupulous mechanics who pass off inferior parts as original & do slip-shod repairs. when i left the workshop, i've not felt this "loss" since my daughter left for boarding school. like a part of me is gone.

perhaps it's just my personality & not because of the car. i still keep my old handphones, cameras & clothes. i just couldn't let them go, so much so that the wife called me a hoarder. that's true because, frankly, there's just too much junk in the house!!

in biblical terms, my heart would be in the wrong place.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. matt 6:21

17 comments:

pilocarpine said...

OMG!
i'm a hoarder, too...
i stil hv my primary 1 exercise books...

missyc said...

a romantic hoarder o_O the same type I have @home

Reanaclaire said...

It could mean you are loyal and faithful too! :)

Hello Kitty said...

Me too, a hoarder! It feels nice to look back at old train tickets, museum admission tickets, leaflets from cathedrals and castles etc from my travelling days. They brings back good memories. And I am still keeping my first car (I have since bought another car). It's been with me thru thick and thin. For me, part of me just want to keep the memories alive as long as possible. And I felt a tremendous sense of loss recently when I lost my watch in the park. I don't think it's an obsession.

iml said...

It's harder to dispose off books. So when the Library organised the used books exchanged event, we happily dropped all into the box and never when back for the exchange.

doc said...

Pilocarpine,

welcome to Hoarder Anonymous!

doc said...

MissyC,

another warm welcome to Hoarder Anonymous!

doc said...

Claire,

if that's true, it would be because i'm a dog according to chinese zodiac.

doc said...

Kitty,

letting go is difficult, huh?

my oldest possession now is the monopoly set i got when i was 12.

a warm welcome to Hoarder Anonymous!

doc said...

Iml,

not for me! i'm keeping my collection of jeffrey archer's books!

Yvonne Foong said...

Syahidah is fundraising for her surgery at HEI this October. Would you consider holding a garage sale to sell off your junks and help her raise some funds?

pilocarpine said...

i dun tink i'm dat anonymous...
=)

doc said...

Yvonne,

my junk are all stuff that don't work - digicams, laptops, handphones, etc, but i help raise fund in other ways. will let you know.

doc said...

Pilo,

you know what i meant!

:)

Yvonne Foong said...

Oh, you have a museum. ;) Thank you in advance for helping!

pilocarpine said...

Actualy, i was thinking that when i get old, i will make a room to become my museum... with all the old stuff... and perhaps i can start a hoarders' association together with people who share the same vision as me...

anastasia said...

And they say I'M OCD...