Thursday, August 17, 2006

the laptop's back (i think!)

It's true what they say - that you don't know or appreciate what you have till you lose it. i lost the use of my laptop for a week recently but thank goodness, we have an IT dept for advice & dino ( i kid you not, that's his real name) had a look at it when i couldn't get it started. at 1st, he had it re-formatted but when that didn't work, he said it was a hard disc problem & promptly sent it to his friend's shop to have it changed. i now have a spanking new hitachi 40HDD installed which set me back RM380, including labour - & i thought only garages charged for labour! let me know if i have been shortchanged. i'm not sure if things are back to normal because this is the 3rd time i'm trying to post this entry & it came up with texts missing on my previous attempts.

i like doing stuff on the laptop while watching tv on the massage chair & munching crisps - hey, who said guys can't multitask?? so for the past week, i had to work with the desk-top & that's in the study room away from the tv & cookie jar. bah, no wonder i've missed out on "the apprentice" & missing some weight as well. ah, we're back to the subject of "lost" again - the state of missing something, not the tv program or body mass.

what i miss most now is a weekend away from work - away from the untimely phone-calls that invariably came through when you want to be left alone & away from the long list of patients who unforgivingly demand attention. don't get me wrong - i love my job but i lose a bit of myself when i'm attending to the needs of others & when i feel i'm missing too much of myself - when i need to re-discover myself, that's when i yearn for some time-off away with the family. & guess what - i've got a church retreat coming up this weekend where the post of asst camp co-ordinator ( the actual designation is asst camp commandant but i'm just too indisciplined & embarassed to be accorded a military decoration - ha!) was unexpectedly dropped unto my lap. ah, never mind, i shall look forward to some peace, solace & soulful rejuvenation & at the same time hope i don't make a hash of things. but i hear the invited speaker, a formidable canadian pastor, has been known to set church camps on fire - spiritually, that is. hallelujah!

i also have a medical meeting coming up end-august in KL, where i will catch up with some old pals. these are invariably social get-togethers 1st & foremost, & the educational objectives sometimes take a back-seat.

in the meantime, i'm putting my legs up, getting a massage on the mechanical gintell & watching donald trump fire yet another apprentice-wannabe as i blog.

man, i just love my laptop!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I'd do if my laptop die on me because I cannot live without my Internet, my music and my connection with my peeps around the network!

Well, I think you should back all your things up in an external hard disk --- prevention is better than cure.

(:

And yes, everyone can multitask!

doc said...

kyels,

actually i don't have much stuff stored in my laptop except some letters, songs & photos, all of which i copied into a pendrive. the good stuff are all in my desk-top. btw, someone got me a 2G pendrive from china for RM40 - is that cool or what?? (it has sony vaio printed all over it but i suspect it's an imitation)