Thursday, May 17, 2007

mum's legacy.


Mum used to be a nurse. she often went on field trips with the school health team to schools & estates to conduct health checks. remember the eye-sight (visual acuity in medic-speak) tests & BCG vaccinations during primary school days? incidentally, it was at these checks that i found out i was short-sighted (myopic) & needed corrective glasses.


in the late 60s, the country was gripped by an epidemic of cholera (a water-borne disease charcterised by abdominal pain, vomitting & diarrhea) & health teams were working round the clock at various entry-points to vaccinate incoming travellers as a preventive measure.

meals were provided to these nurses & health assistants. Mum used to bring home her ration of bottled Magnolia milk, either in chocolate or strawberry flavour, because she knew my brother & i loved it. i recalled we eagerly await her return each night for our prized drink. however, it didn't occur to me at that time what she drank with her meals.

yesterday evening, someone gave the OT team a treat - Nando's chicken with its complement of side dishes. i decided i'd save my share for the kids at home. i know they'll be thrilled because all kids love fast food.

now i wonder....

....if they ever thought what i had for dinner

....what Mum would say when i tell her what i did.



**OT = operation theatre**

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, mum is always a helping hand, a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, a soothing smile, a caring smile...

And even go hungry to give us that magnolia milk!

What do you have dinner, doc?

I have one plate of chicken bones and chicken wing tips for dinner one day. Children thought I love bones and reserved that for me one evening for dinner - they collected over the lunch. Read the story here http://yantouch.wordpress.com/2005/10/23/its-sunday/

Yan

Anonymous said...

That was sweet of you. =)

I guess children never quite see their parents as humans but rather as superhumans. Until they become parents themselves.

I remember my mother used to, and still sometimes do, bring back food from her meetings and conferences for us.

LX said...

After reading this, I am reminded of the occasions when my mum brings back food from school (she's a teacher). They usually have free lunch after staff meetings. Instead of eating, she would bring her share back home for us to gobble and fight over. Now I feel really bad... but she still does it even to now.

doc said...

yan,

that was a heartwarming piece that chris has written. children sure see things differently thru their innocent eyes.

actually i've already ordered dinner before i knew of the treat. on another day, i might have taken the nando's & passed my dinner to someone else!

doc said...

anastasia,

well, what can i say - i am my mum's son.

children who experience parental love enjoy God-given blessings beyond words can ever describe.

doc said...

lynnx,

feel bad?

i thought you should feel GOOD that your mum cared enough to save her share of lunch for you & your siblings.

mums are the BEST, arent't they?

nyonyapenang said...

remember those small pieces of fruitcake that you get at a wedding dinner? many times, i brought it home for the boys, and were they thrilled.

doc said...

nyonya,

i do that, too, but my kids aren't thrilled bcos they are not cake people. in the end, i ate the cakes myself!

just me said...

Only goodies my girl appreciates these days are fruits! SO I tend to overspend on them these days!

doc said...

just me,

yes, it's important to appreciate fruits from young, & you can never overspend on them.

my kids need to be coerced to eat them, but what can i say? i myself never liked fruits when i was young & only enjoyed them when i was much older.