Sunday, July 22, 2018

Breaching professional limits ?

I seldom get very friendly with my patients, probably because they weren't sure if I were the buddy-buddy type. Most times I am not.

But Rz was a tad different. A 39-year old who came in for abdominal surgery, he speaks English like his mother tongue & with a sense of humour, too, both a rare coincidence these days. What clinched the deal was that he supports Arsenal as well.

Then the floodgates opened. He seemed a little cheery when I do my clinical rounds & we spent a good few minutes dissecting life in general. He seemed keen to cut down some weight (20kg, no less, I advised him!!) so I suggested to him to slow-hike up the neighbourhood hill. We parted on that optimistic mood.

I'll know if he's serious about the hill climb if I meet him on the slopes. Otherwise, all bets are off.

2 comments:

ilene ong said...

Isn't it wonderful to be a little extra friendly with patients? Many a times doctors exude the rude and unapproachable attitude towards patients which I find very stressful and fearful. As a patient I want to be able to chat comfortably with my doctors and not refrain from doing so because of fear of being given that "why you so stupid" look.

doc said...

Ilene,

I think you should be able to chat comfortably with me, not as a doctor but a fellow blogger. :)