Friday, June 08, 2007

she's always a woman to me

Although my kids call me papa, i'd like to think that i'm more than just a parent who contributed 23 chromosomes to their genetic make-up. like maybe i could also be their teacher, doctor, friend, mentor & hopefully spiritual leader as well. (although i can envisage the dreadful possiblity that i maybe be no more than an ATM to them!!)

so we all wear a few hats, but to be functional, we should only wear one at a time. i faced this dilemma yesterday. i was supposed to send the wife for a procedure with the gynaecologist, scheduled for 8.30am. but i got a call from the hospital at 7am, informing me of an emergency orthopaedic procedure planned also for 8.30am & while i'm still plotting out plan B, i got another call minutes later, informing of another patient with an even more serious head injury that needed immediate attention.

so, should i be the loving & supportive spouse who accompanies the wife to the doctor's office? or, should i be the dedicated doctor who puts the patient's endangered life above all else? multi-tasking is not the issue here, mind you! it's just that i can't be at both places at the same time.

the Oath (of Hippocrates) stated : "In every house where I come I will enter only for the good of my patients, keeping myself far from all intentional ill-doing......"

the wife is only too aware of my professional responsibility, & suggested i attend to the patients while she drove herself to the clinic for her appointment - much like her responsibility as outlined in the Word (of God) :
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. (prov 31 :10-12)

so, i went off to the hospital while the wife bravely faced the gynae on her own. (well, not really, because prayers have been communicated on her behalf). the 2 patients were duly sorted out by lunchtime while her procedure went smoothly. met up with her in the afternoon & i drove us home shortly after.

the wife is more resolute & much stronger than i thought. didn't Helen Reddy resonantly proclaim this many years ago : "I am woman, hear me roar......I am strong, I am invincible, I am woman"?

no argument about that, but i am even more fascinated with Billy Joel's dark lyrics in his 1977 song she's always a woman.(this is way before he found marital bliss with model christie brinkley, whom he immortalised in the song uptown girl in 1983) :

She can lead you to love
She can take you or leave you
And she can ask for the truth
But she'll
never believe you
And she'll take what you
give her as long as it's free
She
steals like a thief
But she's always a woman to me
She will promise you more
Than the garden of eden
Then she'll
carelessly cut you
And laugh while you're
bleeding
But she'll bring out the
best
And the
worst you can be
Blame it all on yourself
'cause she's always a woman to me.

now, that's one aspect of a woman i wouldn't want to mess with!!


**image : source**

9 comments:

nyonyapenang said...

it's always the yin and the yang. :)

doc said...

nyonya,

sorry, i'm not sure what you meant.

Las montaƱas said...

A woman of God should always know her place; at home and in the workplace. The head of the household is the man, and he should have the last say on things. So for this reason, its strange hearing about women trying to compete with the men.

doc said...

las,

the responsibilities of the each member of God's family have been clearly elaborated in the Word.

where did you hear about women trying to compete with men?

just me said...

Some say...Women! You can't live without them and you can't live with them!

doc said...

just me,

so, what did your other half say about you?

Anonymous said...

I think one of the reason God gives us spouses is to help us grow spiritually, compliment our weakness. My wife so often points out inconsistencies and errors that I couldn't see myself (in all my so called wisdom :) ). Very often her assessment is so accurate, and I simply has to swallow my pride and learn from the experience.

Anonymous said...

I think another one of the reasons God gives us spouses is to help us grow and compliment our weaknesses. No one can spot my inconsistencies as well as my wife; sometimes she made me realise what a big error I have done over issues that didn't initially seem to matter to me ( and many others).

doc said...

lostsheep,

you are fortunate....er, i mean, blessed, to have a wife who embodies the virtues extolled in psalms 31.

give yourself a pat on the back for swallowing your pride & not going down the slippery slope that Cain took.