Thursday, October 02, 2008

hari raya


where we live, nothing like this happens on a daily basis. so it's nice to drive into downtown KL & have this greet us...


so we spent the 1st day of the Raya break in KL. actually we wanted to check out the new mall.....

which turned out to be a disappointment. not many shops, unlike the adjoining Midvalley.

my daughter wanted to get a watch from Swatch but they didn't have the model she wanted.
it baffled me a lot, just to digress a bit, why she must have a swatch, esp when they aren't too many shops that sell that make. why not a casio, seiko or timex? my 1st watch was a timex that served me well for a good 6 years. but no, she has to have a plasticky gaudy-looking time-piece that is a swatch. so, since the shop didn't have the particular model she liked, she elected to wait for another time to get it. now, if only she were to exercise this dogged determination in other aspects of her life....

enjoyed a delightful lunch at Tony Roma's - gosh, everything seemed to be served in gigantic portions! we had spare-ribs....

& burger.......



while the boy clearly enjoyed his pasta.


finally, met up with my primary school teacher whom i've not met in over 40 years. few months back, i happened to chance upon a newspaper article written by her daughter. i sent an email asking the writer if her mum was an ex-teacher in my hometown, & that's how we re-established contact after all these years. nah, none of that teary-eyed heart-rending theaterics - just the casual hey-long-time-no-see stuff.

(that's me, the scruffy one, sitting on her left)

that's how we spent hari raya this year.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boy is a mirror image of you over 40 yrs ago. :)

Bengbeng said...

u r still scruffy now :) nothing has changed hahahahaahaha jus kidding hahaha

doc said...

Jems,

yes, a few people have pointed out the resemblance, but i am not totally convinced.

doc said...

Beng,

no, it's true - i still look like that when i'm unkempt.

zewt said...

kl folks will be enjoying the smooth traffic for the last day today... sigh...

Kyels said...

I agree w/Jemima. Your boy has a strong resemblance w/you.

;D

Swatch; never was a fan of this brand b/c I find their watches overpriced. I'd rather get a Timex or Seiko but I guess today's world is all about trend and fashion hence your daughter wants a Swatch. It's fashionable. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Doc, I too went through a Swatch phase when I was younger. I hope she gets her desired model soon :)

doc said...

Zewt,

& i suspect the rest of the country can breathe easier now that towns like Georgetown, Ipoh & JB would have seen an exodus of KL folks.

anyway, there's always CNY to look forward to.

doc said...

Kyels,

what baffles me is how can a plasticky watch be fashionable. well, looks like being fashionable trumps being practical.

doc said...

Fibrate,

i foresee she'll be insistent on going to 1-utama for our next shopping trip.

TZ said...

Yummy! I missed Tony Romas...

doc said...

TZ,

i think sbanboy also shares your sentiment but everything in moderation, my friend!

just me said...

seated on teacher's left...does that mean you were her left-hand boy? ( did u hold any class position... asst monitor ,etc)

doc said...

Just me,

perhaps i was Teacher's Pet??