Sunday, November 23, 2008

a chip off the old block


i used to collect old bus tickets when i was a student. those days, i could get into town centre with a 10 or 15 sen ticket, & for 50 sen, i could take a bus from JB into S'pore. i did this because i had made up my young impressionable mind that i was going to be a bus conductor when i grew up. i thought it was a thrill to punch holes into the tickets & to ring the bell twice to let the driver know it was ok to drive off after passengers had alighted.

tonight, after watching madagascar 2 with the boy, i was surprised he had kept the cinema tickets from the movies we've brought him to in a tin box....

is his mind, like mine years before, considering a living as a cinema usher? after all, he enjoys movies & popcorn (especially so, i suspect, if he could see & eat for free) & has a habit of playing with torchlights.

i just wonder.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of the blue card we had to fill in school. Almost every boy listed their ambition as policeman & fireman.

Yan said...

My dad was managing a cinema when I was in my secondary days. Part of memories of him was him flashing the torchlight in the cinema. Recently, I read a blog (someone I don't know) and was amazed that someone also remembers "Mr Wong" (my late dad) in that way.

Well, these words have no relation with your post, but somehow, I remember my dad today!

TZ said...

Dude, you still collecting the bus ticket... I used to collect them...

doc said...

Jems,

i wonder how many actually went on to realise their childhood ambition? but it's ok to dream. after Einstein was said to have declared that if a dream doesn't sound absurd at first, then there's no hope for it.

doc said...

Yan,

it's uncanny how sometimes one thing lead to another.

doc said...

TZ,

the tickets in the picture are some that have been with me for over 30 years!! it was kept in an equally old Monopoly set.

Anonymous said...

I used to keep cinema ticket stubs too. If your son did it too, maybe he just wants to remember the wonderful movies he watched together with you

doc said...

Adino,

yes, your version sounds so much more heart-warming.

thanks!

just me said...

I started a memory box for daughter to fill in whatever memories she wants to remember. I didnt have one those days..childhood amibiton...yeah, I achieved mine!

doc said...

Just me,

isn't it just normal that as parents, we want the kids to have what we've never had the privilege to see, learn, experience & have?

if only they knew....

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of my movie ticket stubs ... I had to throw them away b/c I moved to a new place and they're collecting dust! Sobs.

I've never had a box to keep my tangible memories b/c most of the time I keep those images and soundtracks in my mind.

;)

doc said...

Kyels,

too bad about your movie stubs. it would be nice to have kept them for posterity, but that's just the sentimental me.