we are malaysians. when we travel to a country like s'pore, we
1) save on accomodation : be thick-skinned & stay with a friend/relative. no point having friends & relatives if you can't impose! however, soften the burden for them by buying them at least a meal during the stay.
2) save on tickets : go on non-peak days where each ticket is SGD4 cheaper for both adults & children. better still book online, so you don't need to queue to buy tickets. these tickets are valid for 180 days from the date of intended visit. get 20% off if you use your mastercard to purchase.
3) save on food/drinks : although you are allowed to bring in only drinking water, don't fret. there are plenty of drinking fountains within the park where you can replenish. since the ticket allows you multiple entry on the same day, check out the two 7-11 stores just outside the entry/exit gates. you can get a good variety of sandwiches/ puffs & drinks. really, you're not thinking of having a full meal, right? unless you want to throw up during one of those rollercoaster rides.
4) save on souvenirs : they're all the same wherever you go, right? made in china but you pay for the franchise name. choose well, because they're most likely to be chucked one side when you get home.
5) there's a VIP express ticket you can buy for an additional SGD30 (on top of your regular ticket price). this allows you to go to the front of the queue for any ride. so, if you're planning to buy a 2-day ticket on account of the long queues, this is a cheaper option if you can only spend one day at the park.
so, despite the crowd, despite having to queue for up to an hour for certain rides....
the boy thoroughly enjoyed himself. me? i'm just glad to give him this opportunity to relate to his friends who have been here before.
he even had the chance to participate in the intro of the waterworld show...
these people who helmed the show are obviously pros & the dangerous stunts were well-choreographed.....
finally, one last stand before departure - holding up his sole souvenir, a unique drinking bottle shaped like an elongated hour-glass..
PS. we went on a s'pore school day, the tickets were purchased with mastercard, we had a light lunch at 7-11 & we stayed at my brother's in yishun. check out their website when planning your trip.