when i was still in primary school, my 4-yr-old neighbour stuffed some green peas into her nose. her concerned parents 1st took her to a nearby barber shop. it must be out of desperation because up till now, i can't figure out why they brought her there, but those barbers manning the shop flatly refused to do anything because the girl was struggling & that wasn't helpful. in the end, they took her to a clinic. don't know what the GP did to calm her down - probably didn't but just asked her parents to restrain her while he successfully removed the offending peas.
fast-forward 4 decades & kids haven't changed much in their propensity to stick things into their noses. this girl, also 4-yr-old, started producing blackish secretions thru one nostril associated with pain. her parents brought her to hospital & she was under general anaesthesia to find out the cause of her nasal discharge. this was retrieved.....
it's a miniature battery, either from an autogate or car alarm remote. the difference between this & a pea, is that small currents flow when the battery come in contact with the moist tissue in the nostril, causing miniature burns. it's been in the nose for 2 weeks & that would explain the black-coloured secretions. it also caused a perforation of one of the inner walls of the nasal cavity.
i imagined, had that been a more powerful battery, would there be smoke coming out of the nose??
another item to add to the "most expensive" list. read here and here