Tuesday, November 06, 2007

biblical inpiration ?


it all started with the made-for-tv serial. starring sam neill & peter strauss - at that time both actors were largely unknown - how could one miss with a title like Kane & Abel, playing on the name of Adam & Eve's first-born?

what caught my fascination about this saga set in America during the great depression, was the bitter-sweet climax, as only Jeffrey Archer could conjure up. in this instance, it was Kane who anonymously provided financial backing for Abel's doomed hotel chain. a gracious act - uncommonly outstanding in a backdrop of national collapse & hostile manipulation of 1920s, & conspicuously rare these days. a total contrast from the tragic Cain & Abel story as recorded in the book of Genesis.

i've been hooked on the ex-MP's books since. sometimes i wonder if he occasionally derives inspiration from the bible. how else can he explain The Prodigal Daughter & The 11th Commandment? dare i imagine that Mark of The Beast & The Burning Bush be amongst his future titles?

in the meantime, his latest collection of short stories came in useful while waiting between patients.

12 comments:

iml said...

Reading 'Wisdom of Solomon' reminded me of a Knight in beatle armour.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love short stories. It's easier to read during the in between times. =)

doc said...

iml,

please elaborate, for i have not heard of this Knight.

doc said...

anastasia,

my exact sentiment.

iml said...

Paul McCartney and his on going court battle over his millions

iml said...

Paul McCartney and his on going court battle over his millions

doc said...

iml,

i think it will also remind me of all the mega-bucks settlement of the rich & famous.

just me said...

I commented a few days ago but my comment is not up....some technical glitch?

Anyway, was nominating you for post of chairman of Jeffrey Archer's blogger fan club...

stay-at-home mum said...

hi Doc
Thanks for coming by my blog. I have yet to read any books by jeffrey archer, but am a big fan of John Grisham.

doc said...

just me,

possibly, as i find streamyx very glitchy these few days.

thks for the kind thought, but for a nomination to be accepted, you must have a seconder la!

doc said...

hi SAHM,

thks for your comment. i ventured into your blog via Iml.

i have only read The Firm but that was because i saw the movie 1st.

just me said...

stay at home mum, I also like to read John Grisham!


Iml, want to second my nomination?