Sunday, June 14, 2009

playing God

doctors are often accused of deciding which patients should have proper treatment for their medical problems while others are denied it, because of the lack of staff (usually doctors & nurses), hospital beds or medical equipment, esp if this decision was made without discussing the issues with the patient or the family.

this is often a dilemma in the ICU where adequate staffing is a perennial problem which subsequently affect the number of available beds.

today i played God but not based on the above reasons. my father has been on the ionotrope (heart-pumping medication, remember?) dopamine for 11 days & his blood pressure has been hovering around 110/60, which is lowish for him. after discussing with the attending physician Dr L, he concurred that my father should start having the dopamine gradually reduced & eventually stopped, irrespective of how the BP would react.

that was 5 hours ago & his BP has gone down to about 90/50. my sister arrived from KL this afternoon & my brother will be here tomorrow. maybe he's just waiting for my brother to turn up. after all, the last time we all got together was chinese new year 2008.

nevertheless, we all agreed he has suffered enough - 8 years with delibitating parkinson's disease, a broken hip & a serious chest infection.

yeah, the old man is running the home stretch. may he find Home soon....

16 comments:

ilene said...

It's a long and tiring journey for them and at the end, they would give up. That's what I saw happening to my mum. She fought MDS for over 2 years and towards the end, she told me that she's tired and would like to give up.

Yan said...

I know how painful it is! When my mum slipped into semi-consciousness as her spent body continued to battle the disease that was to take her to meet her master in heaven, I remember telling her to let Jesus take her hands and go with Him. And she left us - for a better place, a better home. But, I know, we shall meet again one day!

Find strength and comfort in the Lord. In my thoughts and prayers.

dobbs said...

It is never easy to let go of our parents. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

doc said...

Ilene,

24 hours after stopping dopamine, my father hasn't given up yet. if anything he's a bit better off today!

yes, it's a long & tiring journey.

doc said...

Yan,

thanks for your kind thoughts & prayers.

God bless!

doc said...

Dobbs,

thanks for your kind concern.

God bless!

iml said...

Letting go is never easy but seeing them living each day by artificial means and suffering is even more painful.

just me said...

Don't know what to say,

except

for you, whatever you do, Phil 4v7,
you will have the "peace of God"

and for your dad, I claim Acts 13v36., just like " for when david had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep.."

anastasia said...

praying for you and your family.

ilene said...

Your dad is a fighter Doc. Stay strong for him. My prayers are with you during this tiring journey. Take care!

doc said...

Iml,

Letting him go could mean withdrawing treatment, which my physician colleague should be seriously considered, given the poor state of health.

doc said...

Just me,

thanks for the verses.

doc said...

Anastasia,

thanks for your prayer.

doc said...

Ilene,

thanks for your prayers.

my father may fight on, but soon i'll have to ask him to let go. he deserves a life better than the one he is going thru now.

yes, i have to be strong for him, to make that decision.

msforty5 said...

In stressful & waiting period like this, you are his son, not the Doc so you are not playing God.

Take care. God Bless.

doc said...

ms45,

thanks.

God bless.