Wednesday, June 24, 2009

sports injury


m
y brother recently had surgery on his foot called repair of the archilles tendon, as a result of a badminton-induced injury. he had to put on a foot cast for 6 weeks after that.


my colleague is having severe backache (hopefully not a slipped disc), probably from playing too much badminton (at least 3 time s a week). he hasn't come to work for 3 days.
my other colleague, a self-proclaimed worldly-wise sage, attributed these injuries to not warming up enough before competing on the court as well as age catching up. he could be right on both counts.
i myself have stopped playing badminton years ago (for fear of archilles tendon injury) as well as jogging (knee injury). so i just go for brisk walks & the occasional aerobics session at the park. i think there are just a few things in life you can't fight & win - like, income tax, bosses & Father Time. the sooner we realise that, the easier we accept our inadequacies.

speaking of Father Time, it seems my father's time is not up yet - he's just been discharged after 3 weeks in hospital & is now recuperating at the nursing home. thanks again for the prayers & words of encouragement.

14 comments:

iml said...

A sigh of relief for you, I'm sure now that your dad has taken over his own time management.

doc said...

Iml,

a relief for all concerned. during his stay in hosp, all of us in the family had been also sick at one time or other.

Yan said...

I slipped and fell few weeks ago. I stopped my treadmill because the running impact hurts. I do cross-training. A doctor (not sports medicine doc anyway) told me the best exercise for the aged (he is 59) is cross-training for it does not hurt the knee. He cross-trains three times a week for an hour.

Praise the Lord! He answers prayers. He is indeed good, all the time!

stay-at-home mum said...

Glad to hear that your dad is feeling much better!!

just me said...

What an encouraging piece of

update and news, likened to

proverbs 25 v 25.

Your dad is a testimony to

psalms 31 v 15

doc said...

Yan,

Praise the Lord, indeed!

you can actually do brisk walking on the threadmill as well, couldn't you? it was my cardiac surgeon colleague who suggested i did that instead of (high impact) jogging to protect the knees.

doc said...

SAHM,

thanks!

doc said...

Just me,

thanks for the verses.

Jonzz said...

Doc, I think the spelling is achille's tendon without the 'r', he he!

Do you have achille's tendon injury? I mean you shouldn't give up something you like because of fear. I mean you know the necessary precautions right?

Anyway I think it's not good to give up something because of fear unless it's 100% justified. There's always risks everywhere. But then, that's just me. ha ha

ilene said...

I'm so glad to hear that happy news. Yes indeed, Praise the Lord! I'm sure the entire family members are all tired and worn out! heheheheeee.....Hopefully, all of you will be able to catch up on that much needed rest.

doc said...

Jonzz,

you are right abt the spelling - thks for pointing out.

i have seen too many achilles tendon injuries, all from playing badminton, not to take heed. the usual scenario is the patient said he tried to jump/smash & on landing, he heard/felt a "pop" in the foot.

having a foot cast for 6 weeks & not being able to work is not an option i relish. i've already past the big 50 & currently i have adjusted to a less strenuous level of exercise.

take care!

doc said...

Ilene,

thanks. it is a great relief for all of us.

JOEPSC said...

Hi Doc,

Nice to hear from you again. Glad to hear your father is getting better.. at least he can take comfort that he has a doctor for a son to help make good decisions.

doc said...

Joe,

likewise, nice to see you back in blogosphere again.