Thursday, September 07, 2017

An Act of Random Kindness


My Primary One class teacher, Pn RB, passed away last year. I've only  fond memories of her. You see, I was the proverbial teacher's pet & it helped that my parents were friends with her.
One particular incident endeared her to me in a life-long way. I was 1st in class in the mid-term tests but came in 3rd for the year-end exams. I bawled like a spoilt brat because of the high expectation and failure to maintain top position. However, later in the day, I was told that I was actually 1st because of a calculation error.

I knew that was not the case only years later. I was 7 and naive. I recalled the ink correction to the test marks & came to realise what Pn RB did for me, to make me look good. An undeserved act of random kindness.

I  did feel sorry for my classmates, FM & WW, both of whom remained my FB friends but don't read this blog. One of them should have been 1st & the other, 2nd.

I continued to study hard & work diligently & I write this for closure.
Thank you and rest in peace, Pn RB.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Haiyoh! I can imagine the pouting and tantrums. LOL. I am sure she was very proud of you.

doc said...

Teacher's pet in Primary One, Two and Six, and Secondary One....yeah, I was a serial offender.

:P