Monday, June 01, 2009

a setback

just when we thought my father's recovery from hip surgery was going smoothly, within a week our optimism grounded to a screeching halt.

1st, the hip screw which had held the hip fracture in place.....

loosened quite a bit....


he could have tried to stand up & put pressure on the hip before it recovered fully. because of this, it's back to square 1 & another 6 weeks of non-weight bearing, ie. not allowed to stand on the affected leg.

the carers at the nursing home then resorted to feeding him in bed for fear of aggravating the hip. last week, he apparently choked on his food. although he recovered, some food may have lodged in his right lung resulting in an infection....
(Friday)

(Sunday)

so currently he is in ICU on multiple medication & respiratory support. it's a strange feeling. after treating so many patients in ICU, i'm dealing now with someone i've known all my life. will it be easier? will my clinical decisions be biased because of this relationship? & will i make a decision which i wouldn't normally do for someone else?


i may have taken the easy way out. i asked my colleague, whose clinical acumen i have the highest respect for, to manage the treatment & reassured him i will not interfere with his decisions.

my brother in Christ, JL, sent me this verse when he heard the news:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. phil 4:6,7

amen.

13 comments:

just me said...

1 )sorry to hear about your dad.

2)in my opinion, you made the right decision.

3)ps 55 v 22
Cast your cares on the Lord

and He will sustain you...

Michelle Mak said...

dont worry..God knows wat He is doing..and He does not make mistake...
and i am sure that in His name..ur dad will be healed...

please take good care of urself too..in order to look after ur dad..

:)
god bless ya! hope to hear good news in ur next post :D

Jonzz said...

Sorry to hear about what's happening.

I think the last thing you should be worrying about is your clinical decisions. After all he's family and when family is involved, you can't but be anxious.

Just play your role as son and doctor. I mean, you've already given it this much thought, I doubt u'll be unprofessional right?

jemima said...

Dear God,
I need your help to deal with my daily struggles and fears.
I asked for renewed trust in you and perseverance in overcoming challenges.
Amen.

I've been saying the prayer above daily. I hope it encourages you the same way it does me.

The joy of the Lord is our strength.

God bless!

msforty5 said...

Have faith during difficult challenging times as there are others who are in worst situation. I tell myself that many times over & thankful I have access to good medical care and I'm sure your dad does to. Take care.

iml said...

In times of trouble, sometimes, an outsider is able make a better judgement.

Yan said...

There is no darkness so deep that Christ cannot bring us light. In my darkness, He is the inextinguishable light. - That's my comfort for the time being. I lost my left eye sight two Fridays ago - been through the deeps and lows. Recovering. In this period of "darkness", I claim on this promise -

Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promises. 1 Cor 10:13

Mau this help you too.

just me said...

Yan. sorry about your eyesight...

but thanking God for

ps 36v9."...in your light we see

light."

would like to email you...

Las montaƱas said...

Have faith in whatever cometh your way. For we must know that our Lord cares for us and will eventually make us triumphant over all challenges that come our way.

Adino said...

Wish your dad a speedy recovery. You did the right thing letting your colleague handle the case.

ilene said...

doc, I shall pray for your dad's speedy recovery. It is difficult when you have to take a back seat here. You take care.

Bengbeng said...

Be patient thru this whole episode. It must be a stressful time for the family. Have faith He is in control. I don't know 'verses' but I just dont want you to feel discouraged in any way.

suituapui said...

In God, we trust... As in the Lord's Prayer, "Thy will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven..." May He listen to our prayers and bless us all...